Monday 9 October 2017

Something Different: Tranmere v Chester


Saturday the 7th of October was Non League Day on the British football calendar, a day to celebrate community clubs and the English game at the local level. Every year it coincides with the international break and provides fans with elements of football that are sorely lacking in the glamorous world of the Premier League.

I traveled to the Wirral on the Friday night to stay with my friend Matt, a lifelong Tranmere Rovers fan. We went to Wembley together in mid May to see Tranmere take on Forest Green in the National League Playoff Final, which Tranmere sadly lost 3-1. Despite the result it was a fantastic day out in the Wembley sunshine and I was really struck by the passionate Tranmere fanbase. I was an honorary Rover that day but the experience really registered with me and when Matt suggested I come to another game, this time at Tranmere's home, I jumped at the chance.

And so Saturday came and we had a short stroll through Birkenhead to Prenton Park, an impressive stadium that has all the facilities of a club that should be in the Football League. Outside the ground I picked up a programme (as I always do), as well as an issue of Tranmere's fanzine Give Us An R. I had a quick browse of the club shop as well, buying a small pin badge for my jacket (I already had a Tranmere scarf from my Wembley trip). I'm really material when it comes to football fandom and was amazed that I had the willpower to resist buying a home shirt! We then joined the rest of the Super White Army, or SWA as they're affectionately known, for a pre-match pint before making our way to our seats.

As we got close to the turnstiles a group of young lads pulled us over for a quick chat on behalf of TranmereFanTV, a YouTube channel that records fan's reactions, player interviews and pre-match predictions and discussions. I quickly bowed out of being filmed as this was just my second Tranmere game but Matt had a good conversation with the guys, which you can watch below:




Once we got into the John King stand I couldn't believe the great seats we had, almost dead-on the halfway line, and that's why it pays going with a regular like Matt who knows the best vantage points of his home ground. I had leg room for days, just look at the photo below for proof!


Tranmere's opposition for the day were Chester FC, their local rivals, so the match had a bit more added spice than usual, it being a derby day and all. The Kop was to my left for the entire game, home to the loudest of the SWA and they came complete with a drum and trumpet too. It made for an incredible atmosphere, and was nothing like I'd experienced watching the Arsenal. The Chester fans at the opposite end were doing their best to sing and shout back but were drowned out almost entirely by the enthusiastic support in the Kop.

The game itself was an entertaining affair and Tranmere should have won convincingly but the resolute Chester defence held out for a 0-0 draw. The home side dominated every facet of the game and Chester rarely threatened, never seriously testing Tranmere keeper Scott Davies if memory serves me right. Tranmere on the other hand put Chester goalkeeper Alex Lynch to work, forcing him into a number of fine saves. The driving rain made conditions difficult but ultimately Tranmere couldn't take advantage and the points were shared. Chester, struggling this season in 21st position, will be very pleased with the result but Tranmere will have felt disappointed not to have secured all three points. However, despite lying in 15th place, the Rovers can take solace in their fine performance and their recent results indicate they are on the up at least, with 7 points in their last three games.


I'm not going to be go full-blown football hipster and say that watching a non league contest is better than going to a Premier League game. It's just different... and that's a good thing. You need variety in life and sometimes you need variety in football too. Arsenal obviously fill and satisfy my football needs but then I also love what a non league or lower league game can offer as well. I'm a bit of an old fashioned soul so going up to Tranmere and watching their modestly paid players give 100% in the pouring Liverpool rain, there's just something more honest about it all.

I'll definitely go again and now I always keep an eye out for the Tranmere score on a Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be mistaken, don't be misled. We'e not scousers, we're from Birkenhead!

    Otherwise, great report, I really enjoyed it. Welcome back to Wirral (!) any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adam! I was very careful not to say I was in Liverpool, only that the Liverpool rain was everywhere! But thank you again for the kind words, I can't wait to come back.

      Delete